Monday, January 26, 2009

Remembering Poe

I think a lot of writers can recall their first exposure to Edgar Allen Poe. For most of us it was required reading in high school. I remember sitting in my English class in the dark -- the teacher would turn the lights off for effect -- listening to audio cassettes of The Raven, Telltale Heart and others. I distinctly remember the narrator moaning about the "cask of Amontiago" as if a ghost himself.

I always enjoyed the short stories the best, I never did fully appreciate his poetry. The Fall of the House of Usher is one that I like to read every now and again, though it tends to stick in my mind and haunt me for days if not weeks after.

Michael Connelly -- my husband enjoys his books, though I admittedly have not read any of them yet -- edited a compilation of Poe's works called In the Shadow of the Master. It also includes essays and commentary from famous authors like Sue Grafton and Stphen King. The book publishing coincides with the author's 200th birthday (good PR tie-in).

I haven't gotten my hands on book yet, but look forward to picking it up soon.

1 comment:

la la Lovely said...

Oh I always liked Poe...thanks for stopping by my blog. I got my lamps at z gallerie!
Take Care,
Trina